Recognition of Foreign Qualifications and Credentials

Depending on whether your occupation is regulated in Canada, you may be able to use the qualifications and credentials that you gained in another country for a tourism job in Canada.

There are several regulated professions and trades in tourism where a professional organization and/or the Canadian government sets requirements for everyone working in that field. For example, most chefs, cooks and bakers need a provincial trade certificate to work. These regulations are different in each province in Canada.

However, most occupations in the tourism sector are not regulated. For most tourism jobs, individual employers decide the education, training and experience they expect of applicants. Some employers may be interested to see a Canadian assessment of your foreign qualifications and credentials.

Is my occupation regulated?

To learn if your occupation is regulated, visit the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) website. You will also find profiles of a number of jobs, including many in the tourism sector. See information regarding employment in Canada for specific professions and trades.

To find gainful employment, you have to demonstrate to an employer that you have the skills, knowledge and experience they are looking for. To learn more about how to assess your skills, click here.

How do I get my foreign credentials assessed?

There are several websites that tell you how to have your foreign credentials recognized in Canada.