Tourism Licences and Certificates

Certain tourism jobs require a special licence or certificate.

Depending on the province, there are different certification and training requirements – even for the same job! In some cases, you need basic safety courses only; in others, you will need to take a short course and become certified by an educational institution.

These are the four most common certificates. Many organizations offer the short courses necessary to get these certificates. If you are already employed, your employer can tell you how and where to apply for the courses.

Food Safety Certificate

People who work with food must have a Food Safety certificate. Learning about food safety is the best way to ensure the safety of employees and customers.

Who needs a Food Safety certificate? Anyone who may come in contact with guest food, or works near food preparation and consumption areas. This includes cooks, chefs, servers, caterers, dishwashers and bussers (people who remove dirty dishes from restaurant tables),

Gaming Licence

Each province has its own licences for gaming. This is required as it “ensures casino gaming, charitable gaming, and lotteries are conducted in the public interest, by people with integrity, and in a manner that is socially and financially responsible”. All employees of a casino, charity casino, or slot machine facility who have access to the facilities must register with the provincial gaming commission. Your employer can guide you through this process.

Responsible Beverage Service

Each province has its own certificates for responsible beverage service. This training educates owners, operators and employees in the Food and Beverage Industry how to serve alcohol responsibly according to provincial liquor laws. It is required for all managers, servers of alcohol beverages and security staff, as well as stadium servers and security staff. Your employer can guide you through the process of becoming certified.


The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is a Canada-wide system in which suppliers, employers and employees are all responsible for protecting workers’ health and safety by promoting access to information on hazardous materials used in the workplace. Employees who use controlled products at work must participate in a training and information program, take the necessary steps to protect themselves and their co-workers on the job, and participate in identifying and eliminating risks.