Recreation/Activity Director (Cruise Ship)
Recreation/activity directors serve as hosts on cruise ships. They organize activities and ensure that passengers enjoy themselves. In this exciting position, recreation/activity directors are on call 24 hours a day while cruising. When they are away from home, they have opportunities to explore new destinations and see new sights.
- Meet and greet passengers
- Conduct tours of ship, introducing passengers to the captain and crew
- Demonstrate and explain safety procedures
- Care for special needs passengers
- Organize activities, such as sports, entertainment, and tours
- Provide information on locale, attractions, fares, etc.
- Respond to emergencies, accidents, or medical problems
- Keep records and logs
A professional attitude and appearance are required, as are special event/group activity planning skills and good communication and presentation skills. Tourism or customer service experience is an asset, as is knowledge of ships, navigation, destinations, and attractions. Also useful are organizational and record-keeping skills and time management skills. A second language can often be helpful.
A secondary school diploma is required. Courses in hospitality, tourism, or recreation administration are desirable, as is training in first aid, CPR, and customer service.